Eureka Sentinel Newspaper

When A. Skillman closed the Shermantown Reporter at Hamilton he moved is printing press to Eureka. Together with Dr. L.C. McKenny they started the Sentinel as a weekly paper in July 1870. It became a daily in June 1871 reporting local and international news via telegraph dispatches. The Sentinel's reporting of mine and other opportunities helped bring people and investors to this once great Nevada mining district. Originally located at No. 5 Buel Street it relocated here in August 1879. Last published on June 12, 1960 by editor, publisher and owner Edward James Mowle who died two days after the last issue.

Dedicated June 10, 2000 by Lucina Jane Saunders

Chapeter 1881

E Clampus Vitus

Marker is at the intersection of Monroe Street and Ruby Hill Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Monroe Street.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB