Falls Church

Between the Armies

In 1861, Falls Church was a farm village located on the Alexandria-Leesburg Turnpike. On May 24, when Virginia's vote of secession became effective, Union troops crossed the Potomac and occupied Arlington Heights and Alexandria. On June 1, the 2nd U.S. Cavalry left the Falls Church area to launch the first major skirmish of the war against Confederate forces at Fairfax Court House.

After the Union defeat at the First Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) on June 21, Union troops withdrew from the area and Confederate picket lines slowly moved toward Washington. Confederate troops under the command of Col. J.E.B. Stuart occupied the Falls Church ridges, including Upton's and Munson's Hill.

On September 29, Union troops reoccupied the area of Falls Church. In the following months they built Forts Taylor, Buffalo, Munson and Ramsay on the highest points of land in the area. These forts were four to five miles west of the main line of defensive fortifications constructed to protect Washington, D.C. and functioned as early warning outposts.

The Falls Church, an Episcopal house of worship built in 1769, was used for a time in 1862 as a military stable while other churches were used as Union hospitals. Today, the Falls Church and 12 homes, including Cherry Hill, an 1845 farmhouse restored by the City of Falls Church in 1976, survive from the Civil War.

Marker is on North Roosevelt Street, on the right when traveling east.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB