First Jell-O Factory

In 1897, Pearle Bixby Wait of Leroy, introduced a gelatin dessert that his wife, May, named Jell-O. The first four flavors were strawberry, raspberry, orange and lemon. In 1899, he began production of Jell-O in a factory building located near this site. On September 9, 1899, he sold the rights to Jell-O to the Genesee Pure Food Company of Leroy for $450.

Marker is on Lake Street (New York Route 19) 0.2 miles north of Mills Street, on the right when traveling north.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB