Fort Cumming

Here stood a Cherokee Indian stockade with blockhouse on hill, built by U.S. Government in 1836.

Capt. Samuel Fariss and a company of Georgia volunteers guarded Cherokee Indians here before their removal to the west.

This fort was presumably named for Rev. David B. Cumming, Methodist minister and missionary to the Cherokees.

Marker is on W. Indiana Avenue near Part Street, on the right when traveling west.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB