Fort Hancock
Coastal Defenses of Sandy Hook
Sandy Hook has been fortified to defend New York Harbor for more than two centuries – first by British Loyalists occupying the Sandy Hook Lighthouse during the American Revolution and the American troops constructed a wooden palisade fort during the War of 1812.
By the 1890s, concrete gun batteries were constructed to defend against long-range naval cannon. The batteries were continually improved and remained operational through World War II. Nike missiles, placed here in the 1950s, were the final descendants of the coastal defenses built on Sandy Hook.
Marker is on Cainfield Road, on the left when traveling east.
Courtesy hmdb.org