Fort Towson Landing
The Fort Towson Landing was south of here on the banks of the Red River. Also known as the Public Landing, from 1824 to 1854 it served as a receiving point for soldiers and supplies delivered by keelboats and steamboats. Traders from the Choctaw settlement of Doaksville and local planters received goods and transported cotton to New Orleans. The cotton went to textile mills in Great Britain and the eastern United States, helping fuel the Industrial Revolution. Commercial navigation of the Upper Red River continued until the early 1900's when railroads surpassed it as an economical mode of transportation.
Marker can be reached from Fort Towson Historic Site Road (County Road E2060) ½ mile west of County Road N4375.
Courtesy hmdb.org