Fort Vause

Ephraim Vause was appointed Captain of Horse in 1753 and was considered a man of considerable influence. For the protection of his family and his neighbors he built a simple palisaded fort nearby on his farm. In June 1756, during the French and Indian War, Indians attacked and burned the fort; a relief party led by Maj. Andrew Lewis arrived too late to save most of the occupants. Capt. Peter Hogg quickly rebuilt the fort, as a composite earth-and-palisade structure. George Washington inspected Fort Vause in October 1756 during his tour of Virginia's frontier defenses.

Marker is on Oldtown Road (Virginia Route 753) east of Basham Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB