Hamilton Female College

The Hamilton Female College was chartered in 1853 in southern Harris County. It was located on what was known as College Hill. Asbury Johnston and Stephen A. Borders donated the property for the college. The Hamilton Female College was the first chartered school in Harris County. Before 1853, Georgia’s General Assembly had refused to permit the beginning of female academies. Education was mainly for males. Seventeen years later, in 1870, the school burned.

Marker is at the intersection of South College Street (U.S. 27 at milepost 12) and Foggy Cedar Drive, on the right when traveling north on South College Street.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB