Jefferson Institute
(Front Side Text): In 1875, citizens of newly chartered town subscribed to build school, as classes were held in Baptist Church, in 1880 Joseph Birch donated land (a part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant) specifying it always must be used for education. In 1882 Jefferson Institute opened as county primary school in this 2-story brick building with belfry, 6 classrooms and 3 teachers. In 1926, Jefferson became town high school, and reverted to grade school when a new county administered Falls Church High School opened in 1945. Jefferson converted to offices in 1956; Demolished in 1958.
Marker is on East Broad Street (State Highway 7), on the right when traveling west.
Courtesy hmdb.org