Jewish Cemetery Site

Hebrew Society of Brotherly Love of South Bend established Jewish cemetery on this site 1859. First Jewish families settling in a new community typically organized a burial society before establishing a formal congregation. Before Civil War era, such organizations helped widely scattered Jews in Indiana maintain Jewish identity and traditions.

Hebrew Society purchased larger tract of land 1883: bodies from original cemetery reinterred at new site 1884: later named Rose Hill cemetery. Many society members were part of migration starting in 1820s of German-speaking Jews seeking civil liberties. During twentieth century Jewish population in area was second or third largest in state.

Marker is on North Niles Avenue 0.1 miles north of Cedar Street, on the left when traveling north.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB