Julian

Following the discovery of gold nearby during the winter of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier Drury D. Baily laid out the town on his farmland and named it for his cousin and fellow native of Georgia, Michael S. Julian. By 1906 most mines were unprofitable. Since then the area as become more famous for the variety and quality of its apple crop.

Marker is on Main Street (California Route 78/79) east of Washington Street (California Route 78/79), on the right when traveling east.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB