Just Like A Small Town
Coastal Defense
Fort Hancock was established in 1895 as an Army coastal defense post. Its huge concrete gun batteries were designed to protect New York Harbor from attack by sea.
Although it was never attacked, Fort Hancock’s garrison kept busy with work details, guard duty, drilling, training, and target practice with the big guns. It functioned like a small town. As military operations expanded, a school, movie theater, two chapels, and a YMCA were added. The post even had its own baseball team.
The garrison of soldiers grew from 400 officers and enlisted men to over 18,000 during World War II. Because of new technologies in coastal defenses, Fort Hancock was deactivated in 1974. Today, many of its buildings serve as offices and classrooms for the National Park Service and environmental monitoring and educational groups.
Fort Hancock
In 1900, the fort consisted of thirty-six buildings centered around the post headquarters and parade ground. Surrounding the parade ground were the barracks, officers’ quarters, and the post hospital. Other buildings included a bachelor officers’ quarters, noncommissioned officers’ quarters, a guardhouse, and numerous support buildings.
Marker is on Fort Hancock Road, on the left when traveling north.
Courtesy hmdb.org