Juzgado

On this site stood the Juzgado, or town hall, of the Pueblo de San José. Constructed of adobe in 1798, it housed the jail, the court and the offices of the comisionado and alcalde, and was the pueblo's primary governmental building. When Captain Thomas Fallon took possession of the town during the Mexican War, he signaled victory on July 14, 1846, by raising the U.S. flag, the first to fly permanently in Santa Clara County, over the Juzgado.

Marker is at the intersection of South Market Street and Post Street, on the right when traveling south on South Market Street.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB