Knight's Ferry

Knight's Ferry was founded by Captain William Knight, a member of Fremont's expedition of 1844. This town was a center of great mining activity and was a distributing point for the mother lode country.

In 1854 the first sawmill and flour mill for this territory was erected by Locke and Dent.

General U.S. Grant visited his brother-in-law George Dent, in 1854.

Knight's Ferry was the county seat of Stanislaus County from 1862 until 1872.

Erected by the Major Hugh Moss Chapter

Daughters of the American Revolution

of Modesto.

Marker is at the intersection of Sonora Road and Dent Street, on the left when traveling west on Sonora Road.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB