Laurel Cotton Mill and Dam

Nicholas Snowden built a grist mill on this site in 1811, using water from the Patuxent River to power the mill. He converted it into a cotton mill in 1824. His son-in-law, Horace Capron, enlarged the Laurel Cotton Mill in 1836 to produce canvas duck for Baltimore Clipper ship sails and Conestoga wagon covers. The mill burned in 1855 and was re-built in 1856 with automatic sprinklers. The mill was the largest employer in Laurel in the late 19th century. The remnants of the mill dam and millrace can be seen on the Riverfront Park Trail.

[Seal of the City of Laurel]

Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 9th Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB