Lee’s Mill Earthworks

These earthworks were part of General John B. Magruder’s second line of defense. At this site on April 5, 1862, Confederate General Lafayette McLaw’s four companies of the Tenth Georgia with Captain Joseph B. Cosnahan’s two batteries stopped the advance of Union General William F. “Baldy” Smith’s two divisions of the Fourth Army Corps and Captain Charles C. Wheeler’s six batteries. Several skirmishes and engagements occurred here between April 5 and May 4, 1862 at which time the Confederate forces abandoned the earthworks and withdrew to Williamsburg.

Marker is at the intersection of Warwick Blvd. (U.S. 60) and Lees Mill Drive, on the right when traveling east on Warwick Blvd..

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB