Magistrate’s Office

The Magistrate’s Office is the oldest existing municipal building in Stafford County. Originally built for the town of Falmouth, the structure has been used as a courthouse (magistrate’s office) and voting place. Traditionally referred to as the Customs House, the earliest known account of the building, in 1895, refers to it as a courthouse. Its original date of construction is not known, however, its architectural style and remaining original material suggest that it may have been constructed sometime in the first half of the nineteenth century. The Magistrate’s Office is dedicated to Dr. E. Boyd Graves who was instrumental in the early preservation of the building.

Marker is at the intersection of West Cambridge Street and Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south on West Cambridge Street.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB