Mill Complex
Near its halfway point, the canal passed the mill complex built by William Richardson Davie around 1810. This mill sawed lumber and ground grain, both by use of water power. A waste weir at the entrance to the complex regulated the level of water in the canal. The weir, a stone wall with spillway at the highest safe water level, kept excess water in the complex from damaging the mill area. Under the weir can still be seen the outflow arch of a culvert which carried a small stream under the canal bed. The upstream arch has been destroyed by flooding. A basin at the front of the complex allowed boats to pull to the side to load lumber and meal. A flume directed water from the canal to operate the mill wheel, while the canal itself passed between a pair of retaining walls designed to protect the foundation of the mill from being damaged by the flowing water.
Marker can be reached from Park Drive near Landsford Road (South Carolina Route 843), on the right when traveling north.
Courtesy hmdb.org