Millen

The city of Millen began about 1835 at a site 200 yds. N.of this marker as the road side inn of Robert Hendricks Gray. In Nov., 1851 the Wayneborough and Augusta Rail Road was extended to meet the line laid though here in 1839 by the Central Rail Road and Banking Co., making this spot an important junction on one of the earliest railroad systems in the U.S.

Millen was apparently named for McPherson B. Millen, railroad superintendent, Savannah. Dec. 3, 1864, the old inn, the railroad buildings and the Confederate army warehouse here burned by the armies of Gen. Sherman [USA]. After the war the town was rebuilt & in 1881 was incorporated.

Marker is at the intersection of W. Cotton Ave and N .Gray St, on the right when traveling east on W. Cotton Ave.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB