Miller's House

1782 / 1834

“Last night about 11 o-clock the alarm of fire was heard in our streets...It was occasioned by the discovery of fire in the old ‘Bethlehem Mill,’...A narrow escape of a sick lady was among the serious events of this memorable night...”

Bethlehem Daily Times

January 28, 1869

Prior to the early 1780s, the grist miller lived in rooms in the grist mill. In 1782, the Moravian Congregation authorized the building of a separate house (limestone portion). It contained a kitchen, one large room, and a cellar.

In 1834, a 1-½ story brick addition enlarged the structure for the miller and his family.

When the adjacent Luckenbach Mill caught fire on January 27, 1869, firemen were able to save the miller's house, as well as the nearby dye house. The miller's house remained a residence until the late 1970s.

[Photo caption on marker]

Miller's house (center of photograph) as it appeared in the 1870s.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB