Millville

In the spring of 1860, Apostle Ezra T. Benson and Peter Maughan advised the people living at the Elkhorn Ranch to locate near a sawmill built by Esais Edwards and Roy Kent. This was done to provide better protection. In that same year, Apostle Benson organized a ward and “Millville” was adopted as the name of the small community of about sixty people. Although the sawmill was the only mill in existence at that time, the name of “Millville” was most appropriate as several others were built shortly after, including two gristmills, a molasses mill, a broom mill, a cider mill, and a lathe and shingle mill.

The first sawmill was located near this sight and was built of wooden framework. Later, in 1882, D.W. Hammond built a gristmill at this location. Stones quarried from Millville Canyon were used for its construction. The stones in this monument are some of the original stones used in that mill.

This monument is erected in memory of the pioneers who first settled the town of Millville. They were men and women of great courage.

This monument was designed an erected as an Eagle Scout service project by Jeffrey Lewis John, Spring 1987. Special thanks to the many citizens of Millville and other who assisted in so many ways.

Marker is at the intersection of 206 W 100 S and 100 S, on the right when traveling east on 206 W 100 S.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB