Niagara Apothecary
La Pharmacie De Niagara
Acquired by the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969, the Niagara Apothecary is a fine example of a Confederation era commercial establishment and pharmacy. Although the building probably dates to the 1820's. It was extensively renovated in 1866 when it was taken over by an apothecary. At this time the Italianate windows weer installed and the interior fitted up as a drug store. Until it was closed in 1964 it was one of the oldest and one of the longest continuously operating pharmaceutical practices in Canada.
(Inscription is repeated in French)
La pharmacie de Niagara, acquis en 1969, par l'Ontario Heritage Foundation, represente bien la petite entreprise de l'ère de la Confédération.
Erige probablement durant les années 1820, l'edifice fut restaure en 1866.
A cette date, en installa les fenêtres de style
italien on transforma l'intérieur en pharmacie.
Avant sa fermeture en 1964, cette pharmacie etait l'une des plus anciennes et des actives au Canada.
Unveiled by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.
Niagara-On-The-Lake
July 5th 1981
Marker is at the intersection of Queen Street and King Street, on the right when traveling south on Queen Street.
Courtesy hmdb.org