Officers' Row Quarters

Fort Clark was established as a U.S. Army garrison in 1852. The original quarters were crude log huts and houses of palisade construction. In 1857, a new program began to replace badly dilapidated structures with buildings of quarried stone.

Designed and constructed in 1873-74 as duplexes to accommodate two officers' families each, these eight residences closely resemble those built on other military posts during that time period. The buildings reflect an evolutionary adaptation of military design suited to local construction materials and the regional climate. Each duplex has three large rooms on each floor, two fireplaces and a fifty-five foot front porch. An 1885 remodeling project changed the houses from rectangular to T-plan. The Army contracted with Central Power and Light Company for electricity in 1918.

Fort Clark was deactivated in 1946 and sold to the Brown and Root Corporation. In 1971, the fort property became “Fort Clark Springs”, a private recreational community. The officers' houses were rented to members and guests until 1974, when they were offered for sale to members of the Fort Clark Springs Association.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1991

Marker is on Colony Row south of Patton Drive, on the right when traveling south.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB