Old Dutch Mill

Built in 1879 twelve miles north of Wamego by a Dutch immigrant, this old mill was used to grind grain into flour and cornmeal. In 1925 thirty-five team and wagons moved the mill to Wamego. Each stone was taken down numbered and rebuilt exactly as the original. A bust of Ceres goddess of grain is set above the window. The mill is twenty-five feet in diameter and forty feet high. Wind power has been replaced by electricity to provide a monument in action to Kansas pioneers.

Marker is on 4th Street east of Ash Street, on the left when traveling east.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB