Pacific Great Eastern Railway Station

Protected Heritage Building - 1913

The Pacific Great Eastern Railway Station was built to service a rail link between North Vancouver westward along Howe Sound to the interior of the province. The foot of Lonsdale became a busy transportation hub in the early days of the community as the meeting place for the railway, the ferry to Vancouver, and streetcars from Upper Lonsdale, Lynn Valley, and Capsilano.

Delay in completing the railway line up Howe Sound, and a decision to redirect the line under Esplanade towards the Second Narrows Bridge, led to the station's closure in 1928. The building was used temporarily as a bus terminal, before it was converted by C.H. Cates and Sons for office and storage use. In 1974, it was purchased by the City of North Vancouver and moved to Mahon Park. There, it became the community's first Museum and Archives. In 1997, the station was returned to the foot of Lonsdale, where it was restored and legally designated as a protected heritage building.

Marker can be reached from the intersection of Lonsdale Avenue and Carrie Cates Court.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB