Post Exchange
This building was Fort Hancock’s original gymnasium and in 1941 became the Post Exchange or PX. Soldiers could buy personal items here or go bowling at the four-lane alley located in the basement. The cost for a game in 1942 was 15 cents.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Marker is at the intersection of McNair Road and Lawson Lane, on the left when traveling north on McNair Road.
Courtesy hmdb.org