Randolph Co Jail - 1813

The first county jail was a log structure on the west side of Jacob (now Main) Street. It was completed by Edward Hart in April 1790. The second jail was this 1813 brick building, across from the log one, on the lot purchased by the county commissioners when the public square was set aside. William Marteny and William Steers built this jail for $250, building it with thick walls and foundations four feet underground. The two first floor cells were for regular prisoners, and the two second floor cells were for debtors. The ell in the rear was the jailer's residence.

After a third jail was built on Walnut Street in 1841, this building became a residence. It was occupied for a number of years by Bernard L. Brown and his family, after their previous home was destroyed by Union troops during the Civil War.

This is a two-story plain brick structure with a symmetrical three-bay facade. The deep-set window ledges show the depth of the original walls. The original building had a simple stoop, which has been replaced by a large porch across the front of the house. The arched glazed double entrance doors probably date from the 1870's. The rear addition replaces the original ell.

Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling north.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB