Rhea's Mill
Battle Monument
This tower was the chimney of Rhea's Mill, which stood 6 miles northwest of this spot. The mill was operated by the Federal army before and after the battle of Prairie Grove. General Blunt's supply train was at Rhea's during the battle, under guard of General Frederick Salomon's troops.
The tower is 55 feet high and weighs 200,000 pounds. It is 8 feet square at the base and tapers to 4 by 4 feet at the top. It contains 700 stones. The chimney was taken down at Rhea's and reerected here as a memorial to the men who fought on this field December 7, 1862. The tower was given to Battlefield Park in 1957 by Mr. and Mrs. G.C. Mennecke.
Marker is on East Douglas Street (U.S. 62), on the right when traveling west.
Courtesy hmdb.org