Saint James’ Church

Old Herring Creek Parish

The first church on this site was built, 1695, and the present structure was completed 1765. The Reverend Henry Hall (1675–1722) served as the first rector, 1698-1722. From 1786–1792 Saint James’ was the home parish of Thomas John Claggett (1743–1816), first Protestant and Episcopal Bishop of Maryland and first to be consecrated in America.

Marker is on Solomons Island Road (Maryland Route 2) 0.3 miles north of Bay Front Road (Maryland Route 258), on the right when traveling north.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB