San Juan Capistrano Mission

Founded in 1776 by Padre Junipero Serra. The seventeenth in the chain of twenty-one missions established in Alta California to Christianize and civilize the Indians. Stone church destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule. Returned to Catholic church in 1865 by proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln.

Marker is at the intersection of Camino Capistrano (State Highway 74) and Ortega Highway on Camino Capistrano.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB