Site of Howey's Hall
The southeast corner of Goodwin and Cortez Street was the site of Howey's Hall, which was built on the first lot sold (for $175) in Prescott by James Howey in 1876. The Goldwaters had their first mercantile store here. It was later converted to an opera house "dedicated to mirth and dancing". It was a secondhand store when the City purchased it in 1904 for a fire station. Howey's Hall was demolished in 1959, replaced by today's City Hall.
Marker can be reached from South Cortez Street south of East Goodwin Street (Arizona Route 89), on the right when traveling south.
Courtesy hmdb.org