Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue

On September 18, 1857, Congregation B’nai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first synagogue in the Mother Lode. High holiday worship continued until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate the congregation. The wooden structure then served as a schoolhouse until 1888. Relocated onto a nearby lot, it became a private dwelling and was razed in 1948.

California Registered Historical Landmark No. 865

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Commission for the Preservation of Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries and Landmarks of the Judah L. Magnes Museum, June 27, 1976.

Marker is on Church Street 0 miles north of North Street, on the right when traveling north.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB