Sonora Fountain
The Sonora Fountain was first erected in 1904 in the center of Washington Street, 75 feet northerly of its present location. Cast in an East Coast foundry, it was purchased by the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union and used for many years as a watering trough for horses.
In 1928, it was accompanied by a stone monument to the Mark Twain – Bret Harte Trail in the center of Washington Street at Stockton Road. For more than 30 years, the fountain and stone monument framed a line of diagonal parking in the center of the street. Removed in 1959, both have been restored to this location in 1998.
Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on South Washington Street.
Courtesy hmdb.org