St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
This parish established 1830.
Third oldest in Alabama diocese.
Church consecrated in 1843 by
Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana,
(later a Confederate general).
Here Nicholas H. Cobbs was chosen
first Bishop of Alabama in 1844.
First vestrymen: Dr. Richard E. Meade,
Dr. R. C. Randolph, Dr. R. W. Withers, J. Bell,
J. B. Stickney, Dr R. Inge, Frank Inge,
William Murphy, Col. Samuel Pickens.
Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and South Street, on the right when traveling south on Church Street.
Courtesy hmdb.org