"Ye Olde Mill"

Built in 1817

This grist mill erected by an early settler, Clarence McKnight, was one of the largest on the frontier. The entire mill was powered by an overshot water wheel. The existing 2,000 pound water wheel is 18 feet in diameter.

Restoration began in 1970 by the Velvet Ice Cream Company in conjunction with the Dager family. Ye Olde Mill is dedicated to our American heritage and for the enjoyment of all.

[Second Marker at Site]

Ye Olde Mill, Utica, Ohio

The original Ye Olde Mill was built in 1817. This is the fourth mill on this site and the second mill erected on the present foundation.

Ye Olde Mill was one of the largest mills in the new Ohio frontier. It was originally water powered by the Licking River. A stone dam built about 1/4 mile up stream diverted water into a man-made canal called the “mill race”. That water turned the water wheel which turned the millstones for grinding wheat into flour.

After the water flowed over the wheel, it goes to the “mill pond”, into the “tail race” and back to the river.

[Third Marker at this Site]

Water Wheel

This water wheel is powered by cooling water from the refridgeration process used by Velvet Ice Cream Company. The water is piped underground, up to the wooden frame and over the wheel.

The water wheel is 10 feet 4 inches in diameter, 4 feet in width and weighs over 3,000 pounds.

Marker can be reached from Mt. Vernon Road.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB